My Privacy Story

A few years back, I was an avid Google fanboy. In contrast, I disliked Facebook, mainly because of Zuckerbergs ‘dumb fucks’ attitude. So my world was quite simple back then. Black (FB) & White (Google).

But after I joined Safing in early 2017, I started to question those beliefs. And boy was I in for a ride. :sweat_smile:

Over the next two years, I could ditch a lot of Google services, but there are still steps to take. I was reaffirmed in my path, both when Google ditched their slogan “don’t be evil” and the recent revelations of them building a censor machine for China & trying to downplay the story.

Anyway, here’s a list of Google Services I used and those I successfully ditched in the meantime

• Google Search
  • Gmail
  • Hangouts
  • Google Chrome
  • Google Maps
  • YouTube
  • Google Drive
  • Google Calendar
  • Google Contacts
  • Google Public DNS
  • Google Keep
  • Google Play Music
  • Android
  • Google Play Store
  • Gboard

Some of them are really hard, especially to ditch them 100%! Looking at you YouTube & Google Maps!

And yes, I uninstalled WhatsApp after the FB Aquisition! Boo Facebook, boo! :poop:

Anyway, what’s your privacy story so far? And any thoughts how I can make further progress? I’d especially like to find an alternative to Google Android. Oh, and a Google Keep alternative would really help me out!

Agreed, those are some of the most hardest to quit.

I trie to use OSM - but it isn’t as useful.
As with most things, when you compare them to the g-services, if you know what you want, and want to fill in specifics, the alternatives can help. But when you are clueless and want an answer to an actual question. Well than most of the time google gets it right from the start. And with all the others you have some triel and error.

It’s true that Google is better when you’re not specific - but with OSM they often don’t even manage the specific searches…

And I realized I’m using Android Messages = Google… So another service to ditch…